Ordering New Contact Lenses

Yesterday morning the air was nice (only in the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups range) and the temp was cool (81 degrees F).  So I went for a glorious 7 + mile run!
The "mask" I've been wearing on my runs.
When I put in my contact lenses I noticed I only had 7 one-a-day disposable contact lenses left.  Normally I would wait until I had even fewer remaining to try and buy more, but we are living in a "new normal".  At lunch time yesterday we drove to the mall near the airport to see if the Optical store there happened to be open.  According to all of the signs and the way the parking garage (above the first floor) was blocked off we concluded it was not.  We drove on.  We were hungry so we drove through and got food.  Food is handed out the drive through window inside a plastic container and a ritual of hand sanitizing and mask wearing is performed by all parties involved in the exchange of money for food.

After we had eaten, in the parking lot of a Tesco Lotus store, we were back on the search for new contact lenses.  We parked at Big C and prepared for the health check to gain admittance to the store.  The store is really a 2 story complex that is home to a variety of smaller stores and the 1 large Big C department store.  We masked up, checked to make sure our foreheads were cool and headed to one of the open doors.  On the ground red lines have been taped to indicate the proper spacing between people to maintain adequate social distancing.  One-by-one we stood in front of the health-check-lady and waited while she checked our temperature with her non-contact thermometer.  The ritual includes the viewing of the temperature on the tiny screen and feeling proud of one's self for once again not having a temperature.  This is followed by receiving the ceremonial washing of hands by alcohol spray, gel, or water and then the receiving of a sticker showing that the ritual has been completed and entry into the store has been granted.  (When this time of going into a store is our only outing in a day it feels very important and grand.  It's surprising when confetti and Sousa-esque music does not occur).

I walked to the Optical store ready to buy contact lenses and.....it was closed.  But.  A sign on the wall gave information about using Facebook or a phone number to order contact lenses.  I took a picture of the prescription information from my old box of contact lenses and sent that using Messenger to the Facebook of the Optical store.  I shared with them that I would like to order 1 box of contact lenses for each eye and waited for their reply.  Through a stream of messages it was confirmed that my needed contact lenses were indeed in stock, what the price would be for ordering them and having them delivered, and the bank account to which I should transfer money to pay for the lenses.  Amazing!

I am now sitting at the kitchen table waiting for the delivery person to arrive.  There is a level of trust in this whole process that is strangely reassuring.  I have already paid for contact lenses through a faceless system where I sent text messages with someone I may have never met.  I trust that the contact lenses will be delivered and they will be the ones I need.  The person who helped me order the contact lenses on Messenger was very kind.  



Comments

Popular Posts